Tuesday, December 19, 2006


Have a Dickens of a Christmas!

Mother, Madge, Jack and I are heading off to midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. This year I'll be stepping forward from the rest of the choir to do a solo: O Holy Night. And on Christmas Day, we'll each read aloud from Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, about this sour old man named Ebenezer Scrooge who slowly comes to realize the value of caring for others as opposed to the value of a bank book. My favorite part is when he buys Tiny Tim a fat goose for the roasting! Num! For myself, I happen to like finding goose-egg-sized chocolates bulging up my Christmas stocking.

Read the book -- and see the 1951 movie starring Alastair Sim. Watch out for the ghost of events yet to come, though. Scareee!

Hey, be like Scrooge -- the reformed Scrooge -- and think of others this Christmas. Like the homeless animals at the BCSPCA! And, hey, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good Silent Night.

1 comment:

Melanie Jackson, author, editor, piano student said...

Cat and Mouse wrote to dinahgalloway@gmail.com:

Hi Dinah!
Merry Christmas! Do you have your tree yet? I bet that our tree would blow Pantelli's socks off. It is 12 feet high and 7 feet wide. It is so big , we put all our Christmas cards on it.

Cat and Mouse

Dinah's reply:

Merry Christmas, Cat and Mouse! Your tree sounds great! Yes, we have put up our own tree here at stately Galloway manor. Madge insisted on decorating it elegantly, which means dainty slivers of tinsel instead of the big blobs I myself prefer. Big blobs are so ... compelling, if you know what I mean. Ho, ho, ho!